Sunday 30 April 2017

Public Education: A rich, contextual landscape!

The shelf life of knowing just facts is becoming increasingly short; what one can do with those facts has longevity & sustainability.   - Justin Tarte

Public Education offers students and teachers one absolutely amazing gift: the world. 

Over the past couple of months, I have been privileged and honoured to attend 10 Grand Opening Celebrations for new schools in Calgary, as one of the principals opening a new school too. I have been blown away by the quality, diversity and incredible creativity offered at each of these celebrations and delighted to witness the rich, contextual landscape of music, art, athletics, drama, literature, cultural representation and student engagement. Public Education is alive and thriving, bringing the world to our doorstep. 

It seems we too often focus on the latest budget that never has enough, or the lesson that did not work as planned, or even the student whose needs we know we are not meeting - yet. These are the pieces of public education that often keep us awake at night. But it is the beautiful diversity of learning, the rich experiences our students bring alive every day in so many unique ways that inspire, validate and invite us to continually invest our hearts and energy into the future - into Public Education.

I might be an oddity, but early on in my teaching career, one of my mentors encouraged me to write my personal vision statement for being a teacher.  I did - and have continued to update and refine that vision many times over the span of 27 years. This year's version states:

"My vision as an educator is to ensure every child knows they are capable, loving and lovable. That each child develops the capacity and personal awareness to advocate as needed for themselves and others in order to promote considerate, effective and appropriate life practices that will make the world safe, comfortable and interesting for each and every person. And that each child develops the skills, strategies and interests to pursue a life filled with learning, adventurous experiences and personal collaborations that bring them joy, challenge and a sense of fulfillment." 

I re-visit my vision periodically and I do know it has changed dramatically since that first year when it was very much focused on helping Grade 5/6 students learn to read and not much beyond that. Fortunately, my career has taken many turns since those early days as well, and that has expanded my perspectives as well. But re-visiting my personal vision statement as an educator each August helps me stay committed to the principles of public education - high quality, free and inclusive opportunities for every child to grow to their full potential. 


Every day I have the great good fortune to witness and celebrate the incredible richness public education offers students in my own school - and sometimes I get a lovely opportunity to share the same in other schools as well. I appreciate the valuable learning experiences my own children lived in their schools and those my grandchildren are immersed in today. We often say schools are our future but they are so much more - they are our connection points with the world as it is today, where we invest our best efforts to make sure there is understanding, expression and innovation to enhance today as well as the future. 

Lorraine Kinsman, Principal 

No comments:

Post a Comment